Wednesday, October 15, 2008

phillies win the pennant

Well the Phillies are in the World Series for the first time since 1993, which basically means the first time for my kids and their generation. They did it in style too, winning a fourth game that I had all but given up on (the Dodgers then self-destructed in Game Five). The improvement in their pitching, a long-time sore spot, was particularly satisfying.

The juxtaposition of the debate and baseball game provided an interesting choice for my family. Ben (17) watched the Phillies, while Daniel (13), as always, went for the politics. I was reminded of Amos Oz's remark at the lecture I attended opposite the Biden-Palin debate. You know in advance what they'll say, he explained: with me, there's at least the possibility that I'll surprise you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home